This time I tried to make bread using water roux method. Been ages I read about this method but still feel that this method it’s a bit complicated so I skip again and again. But when my foodie blogger said that she loves this method a lot and she also said that it’s the best so it’s tickling my curiosity to try making bread using this method. And yeah, it’s good….really good…the texture are great, soft and fluffy. For my notes here for all bread recipe that I already tried so far, mixture between bread flour and plain flour in right amount is really important for making bread with great texture and softness.
Sweet Bread using Water Roux Method
Source : Hesti’s Kitchen
• 400g bread flour
• 200g plain flour
• 2 tbs milk powder (I used 3 tbs)
• 120g sugar
• 1 tsp salt
• 10 gr instant dry yeast
• 1 egg + 1 egg yolk (I used 2 eggs)
• 150-200ml lukewarm water, adjust as necessary
• 75gr margarine (I used 75gr butter)
• 50g bread flour
• 250ml water
* Water-Roux is basically 1 part bread flour to 5 parts water.
Mix flour and water in a small saucepan. Cook over low to medium heat, stirring continuously until it reaches 65ºC. It should have thickened to a paste at this stage, that is when you stir you can see the bottom of the pan. Remove from heat, leave until lukewarm, or room temperature, before using. (Alternatively if you don’t have a thermometer, cook as before until it starts to thicken, then continue to cook for about 1 more minute before removing from heat)
- Put all ingredients into breadmaker because this time I used breadmaker with the order of liquid first the solid ingredient. So I put water – eggs – butter – sugar – salt – water roux paste – milk powder – flour mix – dry yeast.
- Setting to make dough then press start.
- When it’s finished, dough ready to be shaping into any shape you like. Divide dough into 9 balls. Put into a pan.
- Let it rise again for about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven 200’C.
- Grease bread using egg yolk+fresh milk. Then bake in the oven for about 15-20 minutes or until golden.
- Take it from the oven and grease again using margarine to make the top shiny.
- Ready to eat.