Nasi Bakar is steam rice filled with meat/chicken/fish/vegetables stir fry wrapped in banana leaf and then grilled on the bbq/stove or in the oven. You can easily find it at Sundanese restaurant. Sundanese restaurant is restaurant which sell West Java food. Usually the side is raw veggies called lalapan like tomato, lettuce and cucumber. You can make it spicy or not, depend on what your liking. This time i make Nasi Bakar with tuna filling.
NASI BAKAR TUNA
For the rice
- 2 cups rice *Measure the rice with a cup that include when you buy the rice cooker.
- 2 lemongrass
- 1 pandan leaf
- 1 tsp salt
- waterFor the tuna
- 1 shallots
- 1 red chili
- 1 lemon grass
- 2 can tuna
- Salt to taste
- banana leaves
- Tooth picks
- Place the rice in the rice cooker pot and simply wash clean and the rice.
- Add lemon grass, pandan leaf and season with salt, top up with water * measure the water according to the most rice cooker instructions recommend.
- Place the pot into the rice cooker, cover it and let it cook until its done or the rice cooker automatically turns off.
- Heat oil in the pan, add the ingredients and stir fry until the fragrant come out.
- Add tuna and mixed well.
- Lay the banana leaves on your flat working place.
- Spread evenly the rice and place the filling on top of steam rice.
- Roll up to a long resemble a tube, secure one end with tooth pick. Hold the rice wrapped and tilt one side.
- Push down the rice through the other hole of the wrap using the back of spoon to make it solid and packed and then secure the other end using tooth pick.
- Meanwhile heat up your grilling, once its hot, grilled the wraps on each side until the wraps just nicely charred or you get the aromatic smell from banana leaf about 5-6 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
Pepes is cooking method which involve banana leaf as food wrappings. The banana-leaf package containing food is secured with lidi/toothpicks, cooked on steam then grilled(optional). This cooking technique allowed the rich spices mixture to be compressed against the main ingredients inside the individual banana leaf package while being cooked, and also add distinct aroma of cooked or burned banana leaf when its grilled. Although being cooked simultaneously with food, the banana leaf is a non-edible material and its function was as the cookable organic wrapper. Pepes Tahu is Mashed tofu wrap in banana leaf.
Pepes is originally come from West Java area. There are lots of pepes varian such as pepes ikan(fish), pepes ayam(chicken), etc. It’s really rich in taste. Eat with warm steam rice would be perfect. Can’t believe that i finally can make pepes on my own. Been a great achievement for me, lol.
500 gr tofu, mashed
6 bay leaves
1 package basil leaf
2 tomatoes, slices
3 cloves garlic
1 clove shallot
2 red chili, slices
5 hot chili
1 tsp salt
1 tbs sugar
- Preheat Steamer.
- Mixed tofu with grounded ingredients.
- In banana leaf, put lemongrass, bay leaves, tomatoes slices, basil leaf and tofu mixture. Close it. Secure it using toothpick.
- Steam for about 30 – 45 menit.
- 150 gr rice flour
- 100 gr plain flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 300 ml coconut milk
- 300 ml water
- 1 tsp baking powder
200 ml coconut milk
100 gr palm/coconut sugar
1/2 tsp salt
- Boil coconut milk and water mixture, set aside and let it warm.
- Mix plain flour, rice flour, salt and egg. Pour coconut milk gradually. Mix well. Then clap batter with your palm for about 20 minutes. Let it for 30 minutes.
- Add baking powder. Mixed well.
- Preheat serabi pan.
- Pour batter in the pan. Let it until the hole come out. Reduce heat and put the lid on. Continue cook for about 5-10 minutes or until set.
- Sauce : Boil coconut milk, palm sugar, pandan leaf and salt.
- Serabi ready to serve, pour sauce on top.
It’s Summer time!!! Need something fresh and cold. Should be something that wouldn’t ruin my diet 🙂 better had veggies as a snack. Think about veggie, fresh and cold. It must be Asinan Bogor. Asinan Bogor is made from fruit or veggies serve with sweet, hot and sour sauce, for the one with fruit, you could find the recipe here. The taste is sweet, hot and sour. If you like it hot, just added more chilli in it. The origin of this kind of rujak is from Bogor – West Java. Everyone who goes to Bogor should try it. The mixed between fruit of veggies and sauce make it so fresh in your mouth, especially when it served cold.
Asinan Sayur Bogor
Source : Sajian Sedap
- 1 Green Mango
- 1 cucumber
- 1 packet of coleslaw
- 1/2 packet of bean sprout
500 ml water
5 red chili, throw away seed
150 gr sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp dried shrimp
4 tbs vinegar
- Grater green mango and make a thin slices of cucumber.
- Grounded shrimp paste, chili, salt and 2 tbs sugar.
- Bring to boil 500 ml water and remaining sugar in a pan. Cook until sugar dissolved.
- Put grounded ingredients into the pan. Mixed well.
- Set aside and let it cool.
- Put all the vegetables in a big bowl.
- Pour the sauce into the bowl. Mixed well.
- Put in a jar and let it in a fridge for at least 3 hours (better you let it over night).
- Ready to serve