Pepper Lunch – Willetton is another branch from Pepper Lunch franchise in Western Australia. It’s quite new compare to other branch. This restaurant is my family favorite one. My family is a hot food lover that’s why they are crazy about this place. And the cooking experiences here is worth to try. It’s similar with Korean bbq but in mini version. So the food come in a hot plate. Raw meat like chicken, beef slices/beef steak and salmon come in a hot plate then you cook them very fast. Eat very careful as the they becoming very hot at the first.
Find their menu on Zomato if you want to see before you go for a visit. They had a lot of hot plate menu variation.
Southlands Boulevarde, Shop GD 18-19, 45 Burrendah Boulevard, Willetton, Canning, Perth, WA
9 am – 5.30 pm
Malbi ayam is a sweet curry stew that consist a rich spice with a sweet and slightly tangy after taste. It is an original recipe from Palembang, South Sumatra – Indonesia. It’s similiar to Smoor (Dutch) or Semur (Indonesian) that usually made of beef or eggs. The different is it contains coconut milk and much more richer spice. The sweet taste comes from kecap manis or sweet soy sauce and palm sugar while the tangytaste comes from asam gelugur or dried sliced Garcinia atroviridis. You can replace it with tamarind paste or lime juice. You can use beef of lamb for malbi and I believe they would taste great.
Malbi ayam cook using slow cooking technique. The chicken is stewed or slow cooked with a constant gently stirring to prevent the spices burned out. Low heat is needed to make the coconut milk caramelized and formed a thick and oily broth. Just like other typical Indonesian dish, this sweet chicken curry is usually serve with a lot of deep fried sliced shallot and chopped spring onion. My family love having lots of sauce in every meal, so I usually not cook it until dried and I always reduce the coconut milk to make it light.
It’s my first time to cook malbi, I decided to use recipe from my fellow famous food blogger from Palembang bang Dedi, a dentist with passion in cooking and really have deep knowledge about food and cooking technique. I do have to learn a lot from him. And also I will add this menu to my culinary list if I have a chance to visit Palembang one day.
Source : Dentist Chef
Sweet and tangy Chicken Recipe:
- 1 chicken, cut into 10 pieces
- 2 daun salam (bay leaves) *I used 3 bay leaves*
- 2 sereh (lemongrass)
- 2 tbsp kecap manis (sweet soy sauce)
- 50 gr gula merah (palm sugar)
- 300 ml santan kelapa kental (thick coconut milk) * I used only 150ml coconut milk*
- 2 slice asam gelugur *optional*
- 2 tbsp kelapa sangrai (toasted and grounded coconut pulp) *optional*
- 3 cm cinnamon stick
- 1 star anise
- 2 tbs oil
- 2 cup water *I used 4 cup water*
- salt to taste
Sweet Chicken Curry Spice Paste Recipe:
- 12 shallots *I used half red onion*
- 8 garlic
- 3 chillies *optional*
- 1 tbs pepper
- 3 cm ginger
- a pinch of fennel seed
- a pinch of caraway seed
- deep fried shallot
- chopped spring onion
- Heat oil in a heavy bottom sauce pan, stir fry the spice paste until fragrant
- Add the bay leaves, cinnamon stick, star anise and coconut milk, continue to stir it another 5 minutes
- Add the chicken and the rest of ingredients, bring to boil
- Simmer and continue stirring until the chicken is tender
- Ready to serve
I love this recipe because I can use it in lots of meal variations. If you have leftover, you can put in fried rice, soto ayam or use it as filling for pastel, risoles or pie. My little one like eating it with warm rice only. It’s so tasty.
Ayam Suwir Bumbu Kuning
- 500gr breast chicken fillet (no skin)
- 250ml water
- 1 lemongrass
- 2 bay leaves
- 5 kafir lime leaves
- 1 tsp ginger
- 2 ruas galangal
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbs sugar
- 10 cloves shallots
- 5 cloves garlics
- 2 tbs coriander seed
- 3 candlenuts
- Boil chicken breast until half tender. Let it cooled then shred it.
- Heat oil in a wok.
- Stir fry ground ingredient, lemongrass, bay leaves, kaffir lime leaves, ginger and galangal into the wok. Saute until fragrance come out. Add shredded chicken and water.
- Add salt, pepper and sugar to taste. Mixed well. Cooked until dried.
- Ready to serve.
Another simple recipe from my kitchen and this menu never failed my family. Hubby and kiddos love it so mucho mucho. They said it’s even better than K** 🙂 Oh boys….you made my day *kisskiss* So if don’t have any idea for lunch or din din just make this crunchy fried chicken 🙂
Ayam Goreng Tepung Crispy
- 1/2 Chicken, cut into small pieces
- 3 Garlic, crushed
- 250g Plain flour
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 eggs
- Marinade chicken with garlic and salt for 1 hour or better overnight.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Mix plain flour with salt and pepper in a big bowl. And whisk the egg in another bowl.
- Roll it into plain flour then dip into egg and roll it again into plain flour and when you roll it for the second time try to pinch it a lil bit.
- Deep fry it until golden brown and crunchy.
- Ready to serve with tomato, barbecue or hot chilli sauce.
Still got left over from soto ayam, why don’t make something different from it? I try to transform it into chicken cream soup and the taste is not bad at all.
- 500ml chicken stock from soto ayam
- 100 ml thickened cream
- 100 g frozen corn kernel
- 1 egg, whisked separately
- Boil chicken stock in a pan, add frozen corn kernel. cook about 10 minutes.
- Add thickened cream, mixed well. Then add egg, stir it fast.
- Cook again for about 5 minutes.
- Ready to serve.
- 275 gr chicken mince
- 200 ml fresh milk
- 4 slices bread
- 2 eggs white
- 75 gr breadcrumbs
- 2 tbs sago flour
- 2 tbs mayonaise
- 1 tbs fish sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat up the steamer.
- Soak bread into the milk. Add remaining ingredients except sago flour. Mixed well.
- Add sago flour gradually.
- Put nugget mixture into the pan.
- Steam until set. You can use skewer test. It is set if there is no mixture sticky to the skewer.
- Heat up oil in a deep fried pan.
- Roll the nugget into the egg, then roll it into the breadcrumbs.
- Deep fried until golden brown and crisp.
- Ready to eat
Note: you could save the remaining nugget in the fridge for about 1 week or you could save it in the freezer if you want to save it much longer.
BUFFALO CHICKEN WINGS
500 gr Chicken Wings
1 tsp Garlic powder
1/2 tsp Salt
1 tsp Ginger powder
8 tbsp Tomato paste
2 tbsp sweet soy sauce
2tbs oyster sauce
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Pepper
1 tsp Garlic chopped
2 tsp Sugar
3 tsp Butter
Clean the chicken, then coated chicken with lemon, set aside for about 15 minutes. clean with water.
Marinate the chicken for about 1-2 hours, better if you marinated over night.
Cook all ingredients in low heat. Let it boiled. Quickly remove from the stove and pour on the top of chicken.
Put chicken and the sauce in the oven until cooked for about 30-45 minutes.
Ready to serve
Found this recipe at mbak Dita’s blog, so simple and easy to cook. I modified some of the ingredients since i don’t have yoghurt at home.
1 whole chicken
1 cup light sour cream
4 cloves garlic, chopped or crushed
salt and pepper
1. Cut the chicken into pieces (9-10 pieces).
2. Put all ingredients and mixed well.
3. Marinated for about 1-2 day.
4. Grilled in the oven or put in BBQ plate.
5. Ready to serve.
In my country, It’s so yummo when you eat it with warm rice, veggie and sambal like picture below 🙂