Sate Padang is a speciality satay from Padang, West Sumatra, Indonesia, made from beef tonge cut into small dices with spicy sauce on top of it. Its main characteristic is the thick yellow sauce made from rice flour mixed with beef stock, turmeric, ginger, garlic, coriander, galangal, cumin, curry powder and salt.
There are two types of sate Padang, which are Sate Padang Panjang and Sate Padang Pariaman. They are differentiated by the colour of their sauce. Sate Padang Panjang usually has yellow-coloured sauce while Sate Pariaman has red-coloured sauce. Bearing the sauces are different, the taste of both sate are different.
In the process of making sate padang, fresh beef are boiled twice in a big drum filled with water to make the meat soft and juicy. Then, the meat is sliced into parts and spices are sprinkled on the meat. The broth is then used to make the sauce, mixed with 19 kinds of spices which have been smoothed and stirred with various kinds of chili. All seasoning are then put together and cooked for 15 minutes. The sate will be grilled just before serving, using coconut shell charcoal.
But I do some improvisation be adapted with what cooking tools that I have at home. I used pressure cooker to boiled beef tongue to speed up the process. Then I grilled the satay using oven/bbq.
- 500gr beef tongue, boiled, cut into 1.5×1.5 cm in size
- 1.500 ml water
- 2 turmeric leaves
- 1 lemongrass
- 1 tbs tamarind
- 2 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbs sugar
- 30 gr rice fluor and 50 ml water, mixed together to make paste
- satay sticks
- 1 red onion
- 3 red chilli
- 1 tsp coriander seed
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp cumin seed
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 cm galangal
- 2 cm ginger
5 rice cubes
2 1/2 tbs fried shallots
- Boiled beef tongue using pressure cooker for about 30minutes. Diced cut into 1.5 x 1.5 cm in size. Set aside.
- Took 500ml beef broth, add beef tongue and all ingredients. Cook using medium heat for about 15 minutes until the ingredients infiltrate into the meat.
- Pin the meat into satay sticks. Then grilled it.
- Boil again the beef broth to make sauce. Add rice flour paste and stir it until it popped and boiled.
- Arrange rice cube and satay in a plate. Pour the sauce on the top and spread fried shallot.
- Ready to serve.