I saw lamb diced at Coles yesterday. Suddenly I thougt about tongseng like the one at the back of my parents house in Jakarta. It was delicious. I think it’s one of the best tongseng in Jakarta. Very mouthwatering. Just need to walk around the house and you could find the shop right in the corner. Try to find tongseng recipe and i decided to try one from Keluarga Nugraha. Even it’s not like the one in my thought but still it’s so yummy in our tummy 🙂
The soup is made of ground mixture of garlic, shallot, black pepper, ginger, coriander, galangal, salam (bay leaves), and lemongrass sauteed with oil until it gets aromatic. The diced meat then poured into the sauteed mixture until cooked. Add water until it boiled and add sweet soy sauce with tamarind juice. After the boiled boiled reduces, add shredded cabbages and sliced tomato.
Tongseng is usually served with hot steamed rice. The soup of tongseng is similar to gulai soup, however gulai is without sweet soy sauce while tongseng always brownish gold because the addition of sweet soy sauce. Gulai is usually using cows offals while tongseng usually only uses meat (goat, mutton or beef). taken from (Wikipedia)
Source : Keluarga Nugraha
500 gr lamb
2 lemongrass, used only white part
4 kaffir lime leaves
1.5 ltr light coconut milk (I used 400ml coconut milk + 600 ml water)
3 tbs sweet soy sauce
10 hot chilli
4 tbs oil
Fried shallot to garnish
2 cloves shallots (Indonesian shallot is different with one we had here, here it’s called french shallots and the size is bigger.)
6 cloves garlic
3 red chilli
1 tsp turmeric powder
2 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp cumin
3 cm galangal
salt, pepper and sugar to taste
1. Heat the oil in a pan and stir fry the grounded ingredients.
2. Add lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves and cloves. Cooked until fragrance come out.
3. Put lamb diced and cooked until its change color.
4. Pour coconut milk+water and let it boiled.
5. Add cabbage, tomatoes and hot chilli. Continue cook until all the vegetables and lamb diced tender.
6. Ready to serve.
– Source: Femina & Masakan Jawa by Munawaroh-Jasmine and modified byKeluarga Nugraha –